Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Short Bus

I just can't do it .I was invited by the activities director to go to a street fair tonight. But alas it is not shower day. I don't have my wallet. And truthfully I just can't get on the short bus.

I've been out and about many times and have seen special needs adults out on a group outing. We've all seen them. Our hearts go out to them for trying so hard and we're happy for them getting out to do something fun. I always make eye contact and smile in an effort to do my part to make them feel normal. But that's them. That's their plight. That's not me. I just can't do it. I just can't get wheeled around in a wheelchair by a stranger in public while passers by stare at me with pity and wonder how the hell I ended up on the short bus. I'm wondering the same damn thing. I'm not vain. But I'm not "special". And I'm not ready to consider myself handicapped. This is temporary. Fucking temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment